Sucheta Das is a photojournalist based in Calcutta, India. She completed her Honours in Geography from Calcutta University. She had also attended the photojournalism workshop carried out by eminent Indian photographer Raghu Rai. Her photographs have appeared in National and International vernacular dailies and magazines. She has extensive experience with transmitting photos from remote location. She worked with Reuters International News Agency for 5 years. She has covered news, feature, entertainment, sports. She handled Reuters India picture desk. She covered Tsunami in South India and remote Andaman, Nicobar islands. She worked in Gulf News in Dubai. Presently she is working for International News Agency, Associated Press (AP).
Sucheta Das’ Noteworthy Photographic Achievements:
• Third prize in World Press Photography Contest 2006 (Contemporary Category - Single)
• Awarded a fellowship by National Foundation for India in the year 2004-2005.
• Received "Honorable Mention" for the 2006 program of National Geography.
• Selected picture for book, the best of Reuters photography "The Art of Seeing 2".
• Selected as one of the cover picture for Reuters 150 years Magazine.
• Second prize in the prestigious Nikon sponsored photo contest organized by the Times Journal of Photography in 2003.
• Awarded in a contest "Yuva Hindustani" organized by Flag Foundation of India and selected that picture for book, "Tiranga : A Celebration of the Indian Flag".
• Her interview and works were published recently among the three Indian press photographers panel in South and South east Asia's largest selling photography magazine "BETTER PHOTOGRAPHY".
• Awarded in all India photo contest organized by Jadavpur University in 2004.
• Sucheta's pictures were accepted in many National level photo contests
• Sucheta has done her first solo photographic exhibition from 18th December to 22nd December, 2003 in Calcutta Information Centre.
• Sucheta presented her second solo photographic exhibition from 13th December to 20th December, 2005 in India Habitat Centre in Delhi.
• Sucheta presented her third solo exhibition along with International Photo Festival “Chobi-Mela IV” on 9th November to 18th November, 2006 National Art Gallery Banladesh Shilpakala Academy at Dhaka in Bangladesh.
• She has done group exhibitions with World Press Photo organization in around 64 countries in the year 2006.
• Sucheta has done exhibitions in 3 countries with National Geography’s All Roads Film Project in the year 2006.