Panduka de Silva is a Sinhalese Buddhist from Sri Lanka and was born in 1955 in the town of Galle. He exposed his first photograph with a borrowed camera in 1970 while he was still in school. Since then, photography has been a cherished passion and a serious hobby even while he completed his studies and worked in a managerial position. First employed as a general manager of a company, he continued to study and experiment with photography and collected a wide range of photographic equipment, and also set up his own studio and darkroom. Later, his love for photography made him refocus on the craft fulltime, and he now works as a fulltime professional photographer.
He is now current president of the Institute of Sri Lankan Photographers, a position he has held three times in a five-year period. He also conducts lectures, demonstrations and workships for the photographic community, and has served as a judge or on a selection panel for several photography competitions.Although social and portrait photographer is his main forte, he has also travelled extensively in India, the Netherlands, Singapore, Malaysia and Bangkok.
Noteworthy Involvement in Photography
• Institute of Sri Lankan Photographers - President for five terms
• Photographic Society of Sri Lanka - Committee Member
• National Photographic Art Society - Member
• Photographic Society of Singapore - Member
• World Press Photo Foundation - Creative Director / Liaison
• Advisor in Photography
• Photographic Society of the Medical Faculty Sri Lanka
• Photographic Society of the Arts Faculty of Sri Lanka
• Devi Balika College